Thursday, November 3, 2011

Arizona and the Grand Canyon

As I mentioned in my last post, my sweet grandma, Nonnie as we called her, passed away on Oct. 13. She was 91 and was ready to go. She is now with her sweet husband, Poppy, daughter and grandsons. We love Nonnie and will feel a huge void without her, but we are so greatful to know that she is in a better place. We had a wonderful viewing up here in Utah as well as a family funeral. After the funeral we went and had a luncheon at Noah's with family. It was crazy with all the little cousins running around playing with each other instead of eating, but they sure enjoyed themselves. As soon as the luncheon was over, it was time to head home and pack for our trip down to Arizona. We headed out that night at about 8pm and just went to Cedar City to stay at my aunt and uncles house. We left at 9 am the next morning and decided to take a detour and go see the Grand Canyon (my Mom really wanted to go) on our way to Mesa. Let's just say it was a LONG day of traveling. The kids were troopers though. We did a caravan with my sister, her kids, my mom and brother in one car and my cute little family in another. The Grand Canyon wasn't all that great and I wasn't super excited to go, but at least now I can say I saw it I guess. I dunno, maybe it would have been more exciting if it didn't make for such a long day, but I just wanted to get to Mesa and be done with driving. It's definitely not as quick to drive with little kids. Anyway, here are a few pictures of the Grand Canyon...

Wyatt and Wrigley looking at a tower lookout across the canyon...ignore the smashed fruit snack on Wyatt's bum
Chamberlain and Azlynn looking out
Me and my bestie :)
The best picture we could get of us all
Just playing on the rocks killing time
This picture actually should go at the beginning but oh well. I just snapped a picture of the kids on the drive to Cedar City. Chamberlain sleeping and Wyatt looking at his Thomas book
At least the trip to Cedar with quick
This is how Wyatt fell asleep....at least the ball was there...it's not so comfy to sleep in a booster with no headreast.
Now to Mesa...
We got to my other Aunt and Uncles house in Mesa late Thursday night. We got the kids to sleep and hung out with some cousins who were leaving Friday morning for a cruise (lucky). Friday morning we went to the mortuary/cemetary for another viewing for Nonnie. Poppy and their daughter (who died in a car accident when she was 18) are buried there so of course that's where Nonnie was going to be buried as well. It was hot but oh so nice. We had lots of fun hanging out with cousins and letting the little kids run around and play together again. Not everyone made it to Arizona, but I think everyone was at the viewing/funeral in Utah. Most everyone left Saturday or Sunday to go home, but we ended up staying till last Friday. Jordan already had booked tickets to go to Phoenix and sell this week so we just ended up staying with him (he cancelled his flights since we were already down there and just drove). Good timing I guess. My cousins that went on a crusie left their kids with the grandparents (the aunt and uncle whose house we stayed at...got it?), so Wyatt and Chamberlain had lots of fun playing with Kaia, Jason, and Olivia during the week. Anyway, it was a good little trip, pretty stressful (we found out Tenley was diagnosed with Leukemia while we were down here), plus my boys (including Jordan) were sick, and now i have it dangit. But it was nice to be in some great weather....I'm not happy with the Utah weather. Luckily I'm moving to LA in about a month...yay!
Nonnie was HUGE into See's Candy. Her and Poppy always had it around. Every birthday, Christmas, and anniversary she would send crip bills along with a See's Candy pound gift certificate. I do believe that I got my sweet tooth from her (my Mom also has it, and so do my kids :). So at the viewings we had both in Utah and Arizona, there was plenty of it. As you can see it was right at the kids level which didn't make for an easy time. All Chamberlain wanted was the candy...it was a full time job keeping him away from it! By the end of the viewing my kids shirts and faces were covered in chocolate.
Wyatt had lots of fun hanging out with Drew, Jason, Rex and Olivia during the viewing. They stayed together and played in the hall most of the time. Such cute faces.
I had to post this picture! This is my mom and her high school boyfriend!!! They dated for 3 years, he converted to the church while they were dating and she was his first love (as he said at the viewing)!! PS...they are BOTH SINGLE! They have exchanged numbers and are in communication (if anyone cares like I do!).
Cute girls...Layne, Layne's friend, and Mya
The boys holding hands from the mortuary building to the gravesite.
The men carrying the casket
Some of the great grandkids throwing roses onto Nonnie's casket
Ahhh...lunch at Jordan's. This restaurant is amazing! It has been a family favorite since my Mom was young! We always have to eat there when we come to Arizona! It is DELICIOUS mexican!
Some of the kids playing outside in the backyard with Dex
Chamberlain was so cute playing outside. He just tried to keep up with the big kids.
Hanging out in the hot tub with daddy
Chamberlain's hair cracks me up. It's getting so long in the back and by his ears, but it's still so short and thin up top. If we cut it it would look funny...but he's sure a cutie!
Wyatt playing with Kaia and Olivia

1 comment:

melissa said...

Sorry about your grandma and tenley, that breaks my heart. But I'm glad you got to enjoy a quick little trip. You are moving next month... holy smokes. I think we are coming to Utah the weekend before thanksgiving. You'll still be around right? Your boys are still adorable as ever. Love ya!